Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fraud sweepstakes money express?

Fraud sweepstakes money express?


HI,


Today I got a mail letter saying that I won a big amount of money, therefore I needed to send $28.50 so they could send me the big amount of money! Can I sue this people for what their doing? I mean, just imagine all the people who get this same letter and send 28.50 everyday, I cant believe it! Let me know what you think.

Fraud sweepstakes money express?
I received the same letter from





Sweepstakes Money Express


9101 West Sahara, #105 PMB 600


Las Vegas, NV 89117.





I've posted the address because I am curious if they move around and have used other addresses. Does anybody know?





I read the language carefully. The letter reads that you are paying to secure entries to win (not receive) an amount from $612,444.89 up to $1M. The language is sufficiently ambiguous that it appears you are paying to enter a sweepstakes--no real guarantee of any winnings to my eye.





The text on the back of the letter advises that you may submit without making payment of "premium incentive". In which case you must use your own envelope and not the prepaid return envelope that they sent. I missed the part that explains what the "premium incentive" is.





If I actually won then they should just deduct $28.50 from the winnings. Am I wrong?





I'm considering reporting this to the US Post Office. Mail fraud is a federal offense. The USPS has the responsibility for investigating these kinds of schemes. You might do the same.
Reply:I don't think you can sue anyone for that, but you can alert the authorities.





Good on you for being savvy enough to pick that as a scam. Thousands of people get scammed out of money with these 'advance fee' ripoffs.





I don't know where you are, but I would look for a financial services regulation organisation, or a consumer protection organisation, and let them know, so they can inform others.





Best wishes


No comments:

Post a Comment